Posts tagged Coldplay
I bought this dress last Christmas at H&M. I had nothing to wear it to, but I loved it so much and it was on sale so… you know how it goes. Then I tried it on again at home and realized that its shiny bronze colour and unique structure made it look like a potential costume- to be an alien (Just give me some antennae and glittery eyeshadow and I’d be good to go!)
It seems that I’m not the only one who has space on the brain because, judging by pop culture, we are experiencing a revival of space obsession. In the ’60s and ’70s, every boy dreamed of being an astronaut and every man dreamed of what was beyond planet earth- even David Bowie got in on the action with “Space Oddity.” But then it just fizzled out. Sure, there were movies here-and-there, about aliens or space missions, but there was no real full-fledged obsession like back in the day. Is it time for a comeback?
I think so. And, like all things, the proof is in the pudding.
Exhibit A: Film and Television
- The film Planet of the Apes came out in 1968 and made earth seem like another planet. There have been sequels since then, but 2011 brings us a prequel to the legendary flick. Rise of the Planet of the Apes stars James Franco, Tom Felton and Freida Pinto, and will be released August 5.
- 30 Rock got in on the action last year, bringing Buzz Aldrin to set. The astronaut played himself and was the former lover of Liz Lemon’s mom.
- This year’s Super 8 featured a critter from far, far away.
Exhibit B: Music
- Katy Perry released her hit song “E.T.” this year, which features rapper Kanye West. Her song is out of this world (har har.)
- Coldplay also likes space, naming their new single “Moving to Mars.”
- Eminem’s new song, “Space Bound,” is part of the trend.
Exhibit C: Fashion
- Harry Potter star Emma Watson wore a futuristic Balmain dress for her appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman on July 11. Space-y!
- Lady Gaga’s fashion seems like it’s from another planet.
- At TIFF, Carey Mulligan wore a gorgeous “galaxy dress.”
And there you have it, outer space is the new black.
- Moving to Mars- Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall - Coldplay
- Everyday – Rave on Buddy Holly (Bonus Track Version) – Fiona Apple and Jon Brion
- Power – Power – Kanye West
- Run the World (Girls) - Run the World (Girls) – Beyonce
- S&M – Loud - Rihanna
- Little Hell – Little Hell – City and Colour
- Time to Win – Time to Win, Vol. 1 – Down With Webster
- Did It On ‘em – Pink Friday – Nicki Minaj
- Good Life - Waking Up (Deluxe Version) - One Republic
- Monster - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Deluxe Edition) - Kanye West, Jay-Z, Bon Iver, Nicki Minaj and Rick Ross
- Super Bass - Pink Friday - Nicki Minaj
What’s on your playlist? @LAMcEachran